What NOT to treat
As we head into the holiday season our pets will undoubtedly be tempted by many delicious treats, and with joy in the air and visitors coming and going it’s easy for the food rules to fall by the wayside. Unfortunately many pets get sick at this time of year from ingesting food that is just not good for them. This Christmas it’s really important to remember which foods you should NOT treat your pet to.
Chocolate & Dairy
Chocolate stockings, advent calendars and boxes of Favourites, December is abundant with chocolate. These products contain methylxanthines which can cause vomiting, diarrhea, panting, thirst, seizures and even death for your pet.
BBQ scraps- bones, fat, onions
Being Aussie, there’s nothing we like more than a summer BBQ and it’s really tempting to share the BBQ scraps with our pets. Be wise when doing this. Corn on the cob for example, can lodge in a dog’s intestines, cats and dogs can get sick from eating onions, and feeding fatty Christmas ham can set off pancreatitis. To protect your pet’s health and wellbeing remember the number one rule – never feed cooked bones. Cooked bones can splinter and stick in your pet’s throat.
Under no circumstances should your pet consume any alcohol. Be careful of leaving cups in easy to reach places, or letting your pet lap up a spilled beverage.
Grapes & Raisins
Fruit-cake, chocolate covered, fruit platters, you will no doubt come across grapes and raisins this Christmas. These fruits can cause kidney failure in dogs and cats, so make sure that these are kept out of reach.
These can cause tremoring, weakness, vomiting and even hypothermia, be careful not to let your dog consume macadamias, or any nuts.
To give your pet a healthy and nutritious treat this Christmas, check out my range of love’em liver treats. There’s plenty of variety so you’ll be sure to find something your pet will love.